The Mainly Mozart Festival 2016 featured a variety of artistic offerings illustrating the first chapter in Mozart’s life and career: “Prodigy.” Music Director Michael Francis’s plan for a six-year chronological journey through Mozart’s life brings a dramatic narrative focus to Mainly Mozart’s musical programming.
- Five concerts by the Mainly Mozart Festival Orchestra, composed of concertmasters and principal players from the nation’s most prestigious orchestras and featuring renowned soloists;
- Three Chamber Players concerts;
- The Other Mozart, an award-winning off-Broadway play dramatizing the life of Mozart’s brilliant sister;
- Bastien und Bastienne, a comic opera composed by the 12-year-old Mozart;
- A concert by 14-year old singer/song writer/pianist Ethan Bortnick – the youngest solo musician ever to headline a national tour;
- Mozart & the Mind, featuring internationally recognized figures in the sciences, medicine, and the arts exploring the impact of music on our brains, health and lives;
- The second annual San Diego Makes Music, a free open-air concert engaging amateur musicians playing side-by-side with the Festival Orchestra;
- The Mainly Mozart Youth Orchestra performing alongside the Festival Orchestra and featuring renowned clarinetist David Shifrin.